Are you starting to notice fine lines and wrinkles when you look in the mirror? If so, you may be wondering how to reverse the signs of aging and maintain a youthful appearance.
The natural aging process causes many changes to our skin, with some genetic variation from person to person. Skin becomes thinner and drier, and the face loses some of its fullness. Facial expressions like squinting and frowning lead to furrows and creases, which may become permanent as our skin becomes less elastic.
While the aging process cannot be reversed, you can keep your skin looking younger with a customized treatment plan from Cayce Medical Spa. Cosmetic injectables offer a temporary improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe lines. Along with these treatments, there are many simple things you can do every day to promote beautiful, healthy skin.
Botulinum toxin type A, known as Botox® Cosmetic, is a purified substance derived from a common strain of bacteria. It works by blocking nerve signals from the brain to the treated facial muscles, causing the muscles to relax.
Botox reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and is commonly injected into these areas of the face:
- Wrinkles between the eyebrows
- Wrinkles around the eyes
- Horizontal creases on the forehead
Treatment takes only minutes, with little to no downtime. Botox is injected with a micro-needle into the muscle(s) or creases required for your individual desired results. Treatment requires minimal downtime so you can return to your daily routine immediately after you leave your specialists’ office. Avoid rubbing or massaging the area for 24 hours after treatment. Some patients experience mild soreness or bruising. Results are usually noticeable within 2 weeks and typically last between 3 and 4 months.
Dermal Fillers – Instant Customized Contour
Over time, skin loses volume. Juvederm® and RHA helps to temporarily replenish it. As we age, soft tissue and bone begin to diminish, resulting in a loss of volume that causes the skin to sag. FDA-approved cosmetic fillers restore volume and eliminate these unwanted lines, wrinkles and folds in the skin.
Approved uses include:
- Juvederm Ultra® XC is used for lips and period area for lip augmentation
- Juvederm Vollure® XC addresses “parentheses” lines around the mouth
- Juvederm Volbella® XC adds subtle volume to lips and softens the appearance of vertical lip lines as well as adds volume under the eyes
- Juvederm Voluma® XC is for deep injection in the cheek area to correct age-related volume loss and for augmentation of the chin area to improve the chin profile
- RHA is a filler designed for a very natural look that moves naturally with your own facial movements. There are four different consistencies of this filler to be injected into different areas of the faced.
- Hyaluronic acid, or HA, is a naturally occurring substance that delivers volume to the skin. Juvederm® is a long-lasting, non-surgical option that contains a modified form of HA. Fillers that include HA are a top choice for patients.
Your aesthetic healthcare provider will take your medical history and provide a facial analysis. Be prepared to discuss your areas of concern. This is not a surgical treatment. Actual treatment with Juvederm® injectables can take six to 15 minutes, depending on which area of your face is being treated.
Everyday Ways to Keep Skin Looking Young
In addition to injectable treatments from your dermatologist, you can also make healthy skin habits a part of your daily routine.
- Protect your skin from the sun: Wear a broad-spectrum, physical sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher, every day, year-round. When you go outside, wear wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses with UV protection.
- Stay away from tanning beds: Remember, both the sun and tanning beds emit harmful UV rays that damage your skin. If you want a tan, look for safe self-tanning products or bronzers instead.
- Cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize: Choose a gentle cleanser to remove makeup and pollution. Exfoliate to reveal a more youthful glow. Apply a moisturizer to avoid dry skin.
- Eat a healthy diet: Look for foods that are rich in healthy proteins and complex carbohydrates, and be sure you’re getting enough of vitamins C and E. Great choices include fruits, vegetables and fish. Limit your intake of refined sugars.
- Exercise regularly: Working out improves circulation and delivers precious oxygen and nutrients to your skin. Gently wash your face after exercising to remove sweat and dirt.
- Get your beauty sleep: You’ll look AND feel younger when you’re well-rested. Aim for about 7 to 8 hours per night.
- Limit alcohol: Alcohol dehydrates you and dilates your blood vessels, which contributes to dry skin and redness.
- Stop smoking: Smoking reduces blood flow to the skin and contributes to collagen breakdown, which causes premature wrinkles.
At Cayce Medical Spa, we offer personalized treatments and at-home product recommendations to reduce, prevent and correct the effects of aging skin. If you’re ready to enjoy healthier, younger looking skin, contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to helping you look and feel your best!