If today’s fast-paced world has you needing more time for yourself, you’re hardly alone!
Did you know Google searches for “self care” increased by a whopping 107% over the past five years?
Between ever-growing to-do lists and endless social media feeds, more people are seeking ways to unplug, recharge and refresh.
But what, exactly, does self-care mean?
The World Health Organization defines self-care as the “ability of individuals, families and communities to promote health, prevent disease, maintain health, and cope with illness and disability….”
In other words, self-care empowers you to make informed decisions about your health. It’s about taking care of yourself so you can be at your best for others – your family, your co-workers and your community.
At Cayce Medical Spa, we offer many ways to invest in self-care, from valuable memberships that encourage monthly treatments to rejuvenating facials and science-backed products for you to use at home.
Let’s take a closer look at the benefits of self-care and easy ways to include it in your everyday life. We’ll also go over why skin care is an essential part of any self-care routine.
Why Is Self-Care Important?
Self-care gives us useful tools for managing our day-to-day health in between doctor visits. It may reduce the risk of future problems and improve recovery from illness and injury.
Studies have shown that many easy self-care habits offer real-world health benefits. Here are just a few examples that may reduce the risk of mortality:
- Regular exercise each week
- Having a strong sense of purpose in life
- Eating more fruits and vegetables
- Spending time outdoors
How Can You Practice Self-Care?
Self-care addresses our physical, emotional and spiritual needs. Perhaps the best news of all is that there are many easy ways to include self-care in your daily routine.
As with so many things, it helps to start small. Your goal is to seek out activities that bring you joy, give you energy and restore a sense of balance.
Choose just one pleasurable activity that you can do on a regular basis. It might be:
- Meditating for a few minutes in the morning
- Taking a walk during your lunch break
- Writing in your journal before bedtime
Whatever you choose, be patient with yourself. Stick with it until it becomes automatic and reflect on how it makes you feel.
We take care of our physical health by choosing positive habits and avoiding harmful ones. Even simple things like nutritious meals, regular exercise and refreshing sleep help us live our best lives.
- Turn off that ringer and respect your bedtime.
- When morning comes, give yourself time to enjoy a good breakfast. Don’t just rush off to work on an empty stomach!
- If you have any chronic conditions, consistent management and taking your medications correctly also count.
Emotional self-care includes everything from a relaxing bath at the end of a long day to sharing time with friends.
- Treat yourself to a luxurious facial or manicure to relieve stress and look your best.
- Practice positive self-talk to navigate through challenging circumstances.
- Give yourself permission to say “no” to new activities when your calendar gets a little too crowded!
There are many ways to tend to your spiritual well-being, such as involvement in a faith community or quiet meditation at home. Other ways to lift your spirits include:
- Engage in acts of kindness, from helping a neighbor with the yard or donating to a local food bank.
- Express gratitude for the good things in your life.
- Spend time in nature.
- Keep a journal to reflect on life’s experiences.
Why Skin Care Is Self-Care
Did you know your skin is your body’s largest organ?
That’s why skin care is so important for looking and feeling your best!
Here are just a few reasons to include skin care in your self-care plan:
- It boosts mental health. Predictable routines give us a sense of stability and something to look forward to. Skin care habits help you look great and may lift your spirits.
- It helps you sleep. Some people find themselves worrying about various problems just before bedtime. A calming skin care routine promotes mindfulness and helps you focus on the present.
- It releases feel-good hormones. From the gentle touch of a soft washcloth to the soothing texture of your moisturizer, caring for your skin triggers pleasure chemicals in your brain. Even the anticipation of these positive activities gives you feelings of greater happiness and well-being.
Practicing Skin Care at Home
Good skin care begins with quality products. Cayce Medical Spa recommends innovative formulations from SkinMedica and SkinCeuticals, which are designed to help you improve and maintain the health of your skin.
- Wash your face and apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen every morning, even when it’s cloudy outside.
- Choose a gentle cleanser to wash away dirt, oil and makeup.
- Exfoliate to remove dead skin cells and reveal a more youthful appearance underneath.
- Look for anti-aging products that promote collagen production to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Investing in Professional Skin Care
In addition to your regular care at home, Cayce Medical Spa provides a range of customized treatments to give your skin health an extra boost.
Personalized for your skin type, a spa facial soothes irritation, brightens your complexion and leaves you feeling refreshed. Our estheticians provide hydration, exfoliation and deep cleansing that detoxifies pores of impurities. A facial can also boost skin circulation, address pigmentation issues and calm inflamed or acne-prone skin.
DiamondGlow® Infusion Microdermabrasion
This noninvasive resurfacing treatment works with SkinMedica® advanced products to give you radiant, healthy skin. It exfoliates to uncover new skin and delivers special extracts for deep cleansing that removes dirt and debris from pores. DiamondGlow® uses a patented diamond-tip wand that goes beyond traditional facial treatments to deliver next-level cleansing and resurfacing.
A SkinCeuticals Micropeel reduces fine lines and wrinkles, improves texture and removes impurities from your skin. A chemical peel removes the outer layer of the epidermis, which improves sun damage, reduces fine lines and improves texture.
- Glytone by Enerpeel comes in a variety of formulations to meet the needs of different skin types. Treatments are available to address rosacea, sensitive skin, aging and sun damage. Multiple treatments are recommended for best results.
- SkinCeuticals pigment balancing masque and take-home treatment reduces hyperpigmentation and protects against future discoloration to give you a more even skin tone.
- Dermaplaning is a manual exfoliation technique that removes vellus hair and dead skin using a special dermaplaning blade. It is followed by a chemical peel treatment for beautiful results.
If you’re ready to go the extra mile for your skin, Cayce Medical Spa offers spa memberships that include monthly treatments and exclusive deals and giveaways.
- Choose one monthly rejuvenating treatment: Choose either a spa facial, DiamondGlow or a chemical peel (excludes the Perfect Peel).
- Exclusive deals: Get 20% off of skin care products and Botox savings of 50 cents per unit and $50 off each filler syringe. Receive exclusive notice of flash sales.
- Participate in exciting giveaways for members only.
Are you looking for new ways to make skin care part of your self-care plan?
Call Cayce Medical Spa at 573-234-6930 or contact us online to schedule a free skin care consultation!